If you live in the Tri-Valley area (Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore) your choices for purchasing computer hardware and software is limited. There are a number of small, boutique computer repair and supply businesses, but for a store with a wide selection of items, at prices competitive with the Internet, your only real choice if you want to stay local is Best Buy in Dublin. If you are willing to travel a little bit, Fry’s Electronics in Fremont is the place to go. Here’s a quick comparison that might help you decided whether or not to make that trip.
- You will pay a little more.
- Associates tend to be difficult to pin down, and usually aren’t knowledgeable about inventory, or computer products and accessories. Unfortunately they tend to “guess” or give wrong information rather than admit they don’t know
- Returns can be a problem, with long lines and strict adherence to policies that might not have been clear to you when you purchased the item.
- Clean and well-organized store
- Exhaustive selection of computer software, hardware and parts. Also huge selection of DVDs and CDs.
- Knowledgeable staff
- Returns are easy, primarily because they put the stuff right back on the shelf. This means when you purchase something, you may be getting an item that has been previously returned without knowing it.
- Prices are usually a little bit lower than Best Buy
How About Amazon?